My photo
Northfield, Illinois, United States
Michael Steven Platt has taken his life long love of doodling to extremes. His intent is to provide and promote creations of positive energy which will broaden the scope of perception and impart a sense of well being to those who experience them.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

An Earth Day Birthday Toast

April 22, 2009, Earth Day and my youngest daughter's birthday, so, the day before Poetry Thursday, I offer a birthday poem in honor of my Earth Day Birthday Girl!

Birthdays

A birthday is a funny thing,
I'm sure you will agree,
Caught as we are within each year's
Inevitability;
As time rolls on and we grow old,
The seasons slip away
While birthdays seem to come and go
As sure as night and day.
Our memories collect in scope
The time that's passing by,
And as the view grows long with age
The birthdays seem to fly!
A paradox of dread and joy
Is felt upon this date,
We cringe at thoughts of growing old,
Yet still we celebrate.
I guess we're glad we made it through
The year that's lately passed,
Or maybe trying to bolster up
For the one that's coming fast!
But from the youth that passes on
We have the chance to trade
For wisdom and maturity
Experience has made.
Thus all in all we age along,
Through Life and all it's ways,
As years are gathered up in sheaves
Of bundled day-to-days.
So now to laud you on your day,
One thing I'd like to do,
And that's to raise my glass to cheer
This Happy Birthday Toast
To You!

Happy Earth Day and a Toast of Joy to You as well!

Written by Michael Steven Platt 4-22-09

No comments:

Post a Comment