My photo
Northfield, Illinois, United States
Michael Steven Platt has taken his life long love of doodling to extremes. His intent is to provide and promote creations of positive energy which will broaden the scope of perception and impart a sense of well being to those who experience them.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Realization, A Moral Story

Today I have a short story taken from Making Sand, which is the title of my collection of stories that, for the most part, have a semi-spiritual basis. I employ various made-up personalities in many of these tales, several of whom are simple and rather foolish characterizations of Zen monks. Part of the posting from last Wednesday, April 8, about Bishu and the Genie, was also taken from this collection. I generally try to convey a tongue-in-cheek offering of positive note in most of these anecdotes, with some kind of spiritual, moral or practical lesson about life. But I also write some just for fun!

I enjoy Zen koans, which are a kind of verbal puzzle in the form of a story or question, which a Zen teacher will give a student in order to create the mindset for the student to reach a particular awareness or realization. The answers are not found through logic or deduction, but rather are understood through intuition and insight. One well known such koan is, “What is the sound of one hand clapping?” Another one, in story form, tells of two monks who were arguing about a flag.

The first says, “The flag is moving.”

The second says, “The wind is moving.”

The Master of their monastery happened to be passing by and he told them, “Not the wind, not the flag, mind is moving”

These two koans are meant to inspire the student to step outside his comfort zone of experience, to see things in a non-traditional way and realize that what is taken for granted is not necessarily in line with the Zen view of the world. My purpose in sharing these is not to attempt to explain them, but to give you a perspective into where I find the inspiration for my own stories. Of course, I usually have a more broadly appealing variation within my stories.

And so with that, I present this sort of ‘koan’, in hopes that the lesson, or moral, I attempt to impart might touch your mind and perhaps broaden your perception of the world around you.


Realization, A Moral Tale

There once was a man who had everything anyone could ask for in material possessions, but no matter how much he acquired, he still wanted more and he was not happy. He was wealthy, handsome, had a wonderful wife and family, many friends and a very successful business. But still, he did not feel satisfied with his life, it wasn’t enough. So one day, when he was downtown in the busy city where his business was located, he went across the street to the office of his favorite Guru (this is a fictional story, for convenience).

He was welcomed into the small room where this spiritual master received those seeking his guidance, sat in respectful silence until the Teacher ended his meditations and said, “Now, my son, what troubles you?”

“Oh Great Teacher, I am a wealthy man in the prime of my life. I have a beautiful wife and loving children, I have many friends, I have a successful business, I am handsome, healthy, intelligent and respected, but I am not at ease and feel dissatisfied with life. All my successes are not enough. I need to find some kind of peace within myself. Can you help me?”

The Teacher looked at him for a moment, then smiled and said, “All your treasures, your wealth, your material possessions, your family and friends are nothing if you do not live for each and every moment of your life as it is happening. Feel yourself in the now and do not think of what you own or have. See that whatever you are doing at any given moment is the most important thing you have ever done, see each instant for the unique and unrepeatable experience that it is. Your will not find inner peace by chasing things, but only by appreciating what you already have. It is okay to work toward goals, but be aware that it is within this eternal moment of now that happiness resides. This is the key to a fulfilling life.”

The man thought it over for a minute, realized that the Teacher was right and that he had been living by working toward things to come, anticipating instead of enjoying what he actually had. He understood the teacher’s message, took it into himself, felt a great rushing surge of joy within his heart and finally smiled.

Understanding that he had found a satisfying peace and great happiness, he thanked the Teacher very warmly and made his way out of the office. He went down to the ground level, smiling at everyone he saw, strode through the lobby, stepped outside, looked up at the clear blue sky, took a refreshing breath of cool morning air, threw his cares to the wind and, still smiling, stepped off the curb into the street where a bus ran him right over dead.

The moral of the story is: Look both ways before crossing the street.

And so, please do accept the moral of this story and, if you are able, apply it to your life whenever you feel the opportunity arise. I thank you and wish you a most pleasant day!

Written by Michael Steven Platt 4-14-09

No comments:

Post a Comment