My photo
Northfield, Illinois, United States
Michael Steven Platt has taken his life long love of doodling to extremes. His intent is to provide and promote creations of positive energy which will broaden the scope of perception and impart a sense of well being to those who experience them.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Tube and My Thought, both in Poetry Caught

Oh no, not again! I’d thought to bypass this trial
And write a quick post in some prosaic type style,
But wouldn't you know my that conscience would say
That I'd better come through for this Poetry Day!
So that is the music, but what is the dance?
Thoughtful, adventure, humor, romance?
I guess I'll start writing and play it by ear
And see how it sounds when the subject is clear.
So polish your eyes and get set to go,
With our mindset to rhyme, it's on with the show!



The Tube

I don’t know why I watch it,
So foolish pours its craze.
That goulish view of hypno-hue
From jabbered cyclop gaze;
A teasing taste of baited plot
It offers to my eye
And has me hooked on spoken lines
Before I wonder why.
And so I’m caught within its spell
Held fast by programmed lure,
Each minute brings new spewing forth
…can sanity endure?
It caters to its own designs,
All labeled ‘Public Taste’,
But the only flavor I can sense
Is the brew of time at waste.
Then, sprinkled in the featured shows,
Like thorns among the weeds,
Commercial wiles sincerely pledge
To fill my wants and needs;
Those syrup voiced announcers,
With their subtle badgering,
Glib forth their Product Names until
My ears begin to ring.
I’m being fed with poisoned sweets
That disintegrate free will,
And tuned to me it flays my mind
Enough! I’ve had my fill!
But no escape is easy found
From fiendish Tube’s strong hold,
To wrest my eyes from its deep warmth
I’ll keep the damn thing cold!


In the greater part of my belief, society needs some television relief,
Too much time is spent in thrall to the tube’s enticing siren call.
But each to their own, I will agree, and my view’s just what’s best for me.
And so this poem is offered fun, and with that my rhymes are once more done.

Written by Michael Steven Platt 4-16-09

No comments:

Post a Comment